Applying for a Credit Card Merchant Account
What is a Merchant Account?
This is the first step in accepting and processing credit and debit cards. Using E-Complish, we not only can automate your payments through our various products, but we can also start you down the path with the basics of obtaining credit card merchant account.
- Acceptance of Credit, Debit of Health Savings Account (HSA) Cards
- Competitive Advantage that Increases Sales. It is a known fact that a Consumer will spend more when given the opportunity to use credit cards over cash or check.
- Money Management- electronic payments will help keep you organized and allow for better cash flow management and forecasting.
- No more bad checks. Credit Cards avoids the irritation and expenses associated with bounced checks.
- Return Customers. Expect return customers simply because it gives them the flexibility to make purchases in different ways.
How Do I Get Setup?
Opening a Merchant Account may seem intimidating, but it’s actually a simple process with almost immediate benefits. The ability to accept and process a wide range of major credit cards can help your business increase sales. A credit card merchant account requires filling out a simple application and providing some items for proof of business. Your business bank account will be the default destination for settlement of funds as well as the account where transaction fees will be debited.
- Completely filled out and signed credit card merchant application
- Be in Business for at Least a Year
- Have a Physical Location – not a Post Office Box
- Provide your EIN (Employer Identification Number), also known as your Tax ID number
- Provide any Business Licenses that Your Business is Required to Maintain
- Provide Articles of Incorporation and Be in Good Standing with the State of Incorporation
- Have an Open Business Checking Account
- Not be a Prohibited Business Listed Below
- If a High-Risk Business, You will be Required to Provide Additional Paperwork (Listed Below)
We do not provide Merchant Accounts for the following types of Merchants:
- Business Practices Promoting Racism, Violence, Abuse, Discrimination or Other Immoral Activity
- Illegal products/Activities of any Kind
- Intellectual Property Rights Violators
- All Adult Entertainment, sexually oriented or pornographic merchants, including but not limited to: Adult telephone conversations; Internet sex/porn; Adult pictures & photos; Misc. adult entertainment (not elsewhere classified)
- Collection Agencies
- Credit Repair Services
- Stolen property
- Internet Tobacco Sales
- Drug Paraphernalia
- Escort or Dating Services
- Gambling Establishments
- Lottery Sales
- Massage Parlors (unless licensed for physical therapy)
- Multi-level Marketing
- Time Share Sales
- Bankruptcy Lawyers/Firms
- Travel Agencies
- Age Verification Services
- Adult Videotext Merchants
- Negative Option Billing
- Outbound/Inbound Telemarketing
- Internet Pharmaceutical Sales
- Long Distance Services
- Pre-paid legal advice/services
- Cable box de-scramblers
- Internet/Mail-Order designer/imitation handbags
- Internet/Mail-Order watches
- Male or Female Sexual Enhancement Supplements or Products
- Pre-Paid Phone Cards
- Internet Perfume Stores
- Annual Billing with High Average Tickets
- Matrix Merchants
- Downloadable Software
- Internet as Seen on TV Products
- Knock off Athletic Shoes
- Medical Advice
- Human Growth Hormones
- Check cashing services
- Counterfeit items, including but not limited to Currency; Coins: stamps: Counterfeiting equipment; Trademark infringement items
- Investment opportunities
- Pyramids/Ponzi Schemes
- (Canada Only) Animals and Wildlife products classified as endangered or protected
- (Canada Only) Business Opportunity (get-rich-quick schemes)
- (Canada Only) Buying/shopping clubs
- (Canada Only) Chain letters
- (Canada Only) Credit card protection (including identity theft protection
- (Canada Only) Cruise lines
- (Canada Only) Extended warranty companies
- (Canada Only) Flea Market/Kiosk Operators (defined as firms/individuals operating from a booth, whether indoor or outdoor, on a part-time basis, with no lease or telephone availability)
- (Canada Only) Free gift, prize, sweepstakes or contest as an inducement to purchase a product/service
- (Canada Only) Gaming, including horse and dog racing
- (Canada Only) Hazardous and/or restricted materials
- (Canada Only) Hair restoration
- (Canada Only) Human parts and remains
- (Canada Only) Investor clubs
- (Canada Only) Products with unreasonable guarantees
- (Canada Only) Pseudo-pharmaceuticals (anti-aging pills, sex nutrients, etc.)
- (Canada Only) Sports forecasting or odds-making
- (Canada Only) Third Party Payment Processors (Aggregators)
The following Merchant types are historically prone to higher levels of chargeback and fraudulent activity. These Merchants will be subject to escalated UNDERWRITING procedures, which may include a High-Risk Plan.
- Answering Services
- Diet Centers
- Health Clubs
- Internet Access Providers
- Investment Opportunities
- Auto Accessories/Tire Rims
- Motivational and Self-improvement Courses
- Non-Retail Pawn Shops
- Tanning Salons
- Vitamin/Herbal Supplement Sales
- Water Purification
- Non-Retail Jewelry
- Electronics including Laptops and Computers
- Cellular Phones and Pagers
- Non-Retail Computer Hardware and/or Software sales.
- Legal Advice and Kits
Additional UNDERWRITING requirements for the High-Risk Merchant Types may include:
- The latest business/financial statements
- A detailed description of how the Merchant conducts business relative to deliveries, deposits, sales procedures and return policy
- Copies of printed sales material, print ads, and electronic media
- Personal guarantee of signatory with greater than or equal to 50% ownership in the corporation
- Marketing Materials
- Additional Business References
I HAVE READ THE GUIDELINES !!
Now Here is the Exciting News!
Once you have your Credit Card Merchant Account, you have opened the door to all of the E-Complish Payment Processing Systems that help you process your new Credit/Debit Card Transactions. BooYah!